Frequency of Chemical Exfoliants

Hey there,

I just recently purchased a few items from Cosmedix to help attack my acne scarring / hyperpigmentation.

In the AM and PM (as directed) I use their Simply Brilliant serum which contains lactic acid. At PM, I also put a few shakes of their vitamin c mixing crystals.

I ended up purchasing a toner from them too, but didn’t think through the fact that it’s an exfoliating toner - it contains salicylic acid, lactic acid, tea tree oil and niacinamide.

Probably a dumb question, but considering the lactic acid in the serum I’m applying, I should probably be skipping this toner since it will be too much exfoliation right?

I destroyed my skin barrier before so definitely don’t want to do that but desperately trying to fight this scarring with potent ingredients.

Thank you in advance for your help!

1 Like

Hey there! I am going to share my thoughts with you, but just keep in mind I am not sure exactly how these products are formulated or the percentages of them etc. So here goes…

It seems like the serum with the lactic is pretty gently if you are using it AM and PM so I would just gauge it as you go. If your skin feels like it needs it 2x a day do it, if certain days you do not feel the need for it in the morning than skip it. Hopefully there is an spf in the mix somewhere. Love the vitamin C you absolutely want that in the morning routine. If the lactic becomes to much you could always purchase more of a hydrating serum something hyaluronic based to mix the vitamin c crystals in before applying.

I like the idea of the exfoliating toner, generally these are not to much and they will not strip. They will effectively remove build up that accumulates daily. That being said, there are some drying ingredients in the toner so I would say use it 3-4x a week at night. You are right about not wanting to destroy that barrier, it protects us from everything! Fortunately lactic is extremely hydrating and penetrates the skin slowly which is a good thing.

Do you have a good moisturizer that you are using currently?

1 Like

Thanks so much for your feedback!

Yes, from what I’ve read, the lactic acid is gentle enough - yes! definitely using SPF daily and reapplying throughout the day. Okay that’s a great idea about coupling the vit c crystals with a hydrating serum.

Thanks for your response about the toner - I definitely will use it cautiously.

For moisturizer, I’ve been using the Cerave moisturizing lotion, but have the Cosmedix shineless moisturizer on order that I plan on using at night.

1 Like

Awesome, keep us posted! Also the Cerave is a great option Rachel our ceo loves it!

1 Like